   Re: [xml-dev] Formal definition of PSVI (was [xml-dev] Where have the el

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric van der Vlist" <vdv@dyomedea.com>
To: "xml-dev" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2001 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Where have the element types gone?

> Except that it's still a kind of dream. No API has been defined yet to
> convey the information from the PSVI, XSLT 1.0 ignores it and SAX would
> also need to be updated to do so. And also that it's not obvious that
> schema should be processed each time a document is read...

Sorry about the segue but your mention of the PSVI reminded of something that
was of much consternation to me a few months ago. There seems to be no place
where the concept of the Post Schema Validation Infoset is formally described,
instead references to it are littered all over the World Wide Web and the W3C
website[0] as if the meaning of the term is so self-evident that anyone who
sees the term should be instantly aware of what it means.

Now I am quite aware that it is "the infoset that is exposed after validation
via the schema" but that really doesn't tell me much especially since when I
think infoset I think of the XML Infoset recommendation.  Which leads me to my
second question...

Exactly how is the XML infoset supposed to be represented and/or accessed by
application programmers? Since the infoset seems to mirror the DOM to some
degree will the primary usage model be some sort of DOM-like API with current
DOM implementations being given the ability to support it with certain
extensions? Or is the XML Infoset recommendation supposed to exist merely as a
reference for use in discussions between experts and others with domain
knowledge without it actually having any implementation impact on users of XML
in general? I know there are more options than these two I've mentioned and
merely mention the options that  I thought were most likely, any corrections
or additional toughts would be appreciated.

Finally, the XML infoset is particularly DTD centric with little if any
mention of XML schemas but on the other hand I keep hearing about the PSVI
with regards to schema awareness and data types, is there any reason for this
disjointedness or is there some discussion or document I can be pointed to
that clarifies the issue?

Thanks for listening.

[0] The W3C schema recommendation is particularly guilty of doing this.

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #32
I will not fly into a rage and kill a messenger who brings me bad news just