   Re: [xml-dev] Formal definition of PSVI (was [xml-dev] Where have the el

Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> Exactly how is the XML infoset supposed to be represented and/or accessed by
> application programmers? Since the infoset seems to mirror the DOM to some
> degree will the primary usage model be some sort of DOM-like API with current
> DOM implementations being given the ability to support it with certain
> extensions? Or is the XML Infoset recommendation supposed to exist merely as a
> reference for use in discussions between experts and others with domain
> knowledge without it actually having any implementation impact on users of XML
> in general? I know there are more options than these two I've mentioned and
> merely mention the options that  I thought were most likely, any corrections
> or additional toughts would be appreciated.

I am not saying that it's easy to follow ;=) , but descriptions of the
PSVI are scatered all over the W3C XML Schema recommendation, such as
(to take the first example which comes in part 1):

"PSVI Contributions for attribute information items
[validation context]
The nearest ancestor element information item with a [schema
information] property. [validity]
     The appropriate case among the following:
     1 If it was ·strictly assessed·, then the appropriate case among
the following:
     1.1 If it was ·valid· as defined by Attribute Locally Valid
(§3.2.4), then valid;
     1.2 otherwise invalid.
     2 otherwise notKnown.
[validation attempted]
     The appropriate case among the following:
     1 If it was ·strictly assessed·, then full;
     2 otherwise none.
[schema specified]
infoset. See Attribute Default Value (§3.4.5) for the other possible value."

Otherwise, if you want to see angle brackets, Richard Tobin and Henry
Thompson have published a "a first cut at an XML serialisation of the
(PSV) Infoset" which is non normative but gives a more concrete idea of
what the beast looks like:

http://www.w3.org/2001/05/serialized-infoset-schema.html

Hope this helps!

Eric--