   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Flexible Schemas (was RE: [xml-dev] The task to be sol

> At 1:55 PM +0100 1/19/02, Nicolas Lehuen wrote:
>

> >As I've said three of four times now, show me the algorithm that will
find
> >the URL of the RDDL document for this document : http://www.rddl.org/.
This
> >is a FONDAMENTAL problem with RDDL.
>

> Ummm, load http://www.rddl.org?
>
> If that's too simple, here's a two-step algorithm:
>
> 1. Parse the document at http://www.rddl.org/ to find all namespace
> URIs used in that document.
> 2. Load each one.
>
> You do realize that the document at http://www.rddl.org/ is the RDDL
> document for the http://www.rddl.org/ namespace, right?

Yes. But I also realise that loading three RDDL documents instead of one
(one for the XHTML namespace, one for the RDDL namespace and one for the
XLink namespace) won't help me much to understand what this XML document is
all about.

> Your terminology is a little off, which is why I ask. There is no
> such thing as a RDDL document for any document, only RDDL documents
> for namespace URIs which may be used in various documents.

I'm glad you write that. So now, do you agree that RDDL cannot be used to
find the schemas of XML documents that contain a mix of namespaces, despite
the fact that those schemas exist (there is a DTD for RDDL, WAP 2.0, etc.) ?
Do you agree that RDDL is good at describing *namespace* meta-data (apart
from a few problems, but let's be open-minded), but NOT at describing XML
document meta-data ? Do you understand my point, which is that instead of
focusing on RDDL which solves a little part of the meta-data problem, but
looks like a sliver bullet, we should reckon the limitations of RDDL and try
to go further ?

Best regards,
Nicolas