   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Flexible Schemas (was RE: [xml-dev] The task to be sol

Your <?XAR docbook?> PI is pretty much the document type specification I'm
thinking about in my article. The difference is that I would not force the
resource directory and the archiving mechanism to be bound. For me (but I'm
just thinking about it, so I lack plenty of justifications), a document type
name should be an URL, that points to a resource directory. This resource
directory would allow me to fetch schemas, stylesheets, human-readable
documentation, Java archives (i.e. plugins for browsers in the form a Java
Applets), a XAR archive, and, etc.

We could even have RDDL documents for namespaces, why not ? This resource
directory would also serve as an URI resolution mechanism, thus enabling the
resolution of non-URL namespaces name, so that even those namespace could
benefit from RDDL. But, of course, RDDL would have a warning at the
beginning of the spec : "WARNING : do not use RDDL to obtain schemas for
your documents. Use the resource-directory associated to the document type
instead. A tough battle has been fought on those grounds, so please don't
disturb the ghosts".

I would not try to put too much in the same specification, and try to
separate adressing and URI resolution concerns from packaging concerns. But,
as I've said before, I'm only thinking about it for now.

It's amazing to see how we can agree on this and have the same ideas, yet
having had to fight so fiercely on the list about RDDL. I hope the
discussion with progressively cool down, so that we'll be able to enter the
engineering aspects :).

Cheers,
Nicolas