   RE: AF and namespaces, once again (was Re: [xml-dev] There is a meaning,

Attributes have to be declared for the instance.  PIs don't.  As
to teaching, not me, fella.  Too many big words.  However, someone passed
this to me offlist:

and it sums up what can be done with arch forms.  I keep
thinking that using namespaces to disambiguate names and to
associate semantics is a bad move for the data itself, particularly
since it uses URLs (call 'em anything you like) because
the information is yoked to the system itself.  That feels wrong.
At least with PIs, one is expressly saying, this is extra-curricular.

As to why I asked the question, it is more along the
line of, in the history of markup systems (and that is
a lot longer than the history of XML), we keep coming
back to this debate.  Solutions are proposed but none ever
win.  Why?  Will a spec for solving this for XML make a
bit of difference?  Maybe that is just a rhetorical
question but it seems that unless it is answered, we
will get to do this every year.  Or just mail java
back and forth.

As to the complex names business, no duh, but I won't
kick them off the stoop for eating crackers.  The guys
who did the AF work and Hytime work weren't fools even
if verbose.  My guess is, there was peanut butter
on the crackers.  Got milk?

Seriously, until we review all the historical approaches,
we keep going over the same old ground and just changing
names on the signposts.

Cowan's RNG post makes me think, what if the AF concept
were layered above the RNG? A clean separation
of validation and semantics seems to be what everyone
wants, but not one or the other exclusively.  AFs are
expressed as PIs.  Are they irrevocably yoked to DTDs
semantically?  They appear to be looking over this example.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?IS10744 arch
  name="somearch"
  public-id="+//IDN me.com//NOTATION Some Architecture//EN"
  dtd-public-id="+//IDN me.com//DTD Some Architecture//EN"
  doc-elem-form="somedoc"
  renamer-att="somedocnames"
  options="option1 option2"
?>
<mydoc somearch="somedoc"/>

Steve, are they?  Would archforms work with RNG?

len