   <?P[SV]I?>

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: <?P[SV]I?>
  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 10:05:55 +0100

Following a recent thread [1] on www-tag lead me to the conclusion [2]
that PIs are an out of band signalling mechanism and reminded me an old
issue [3] which is yet to be solved.

It might even be more than a rough syntactic trick and PSVI information
are nothing more than insformation (or instructions) to process a
document. This proposal would thus use PIs for what they've been
designed for!

So, why not use PIs to embedd PSVI information in instance documents?

It would not meet my intial requirement of being easy to process with a
simple XPath expression, but would still meet the other requirements of
interoperability and persistence of the PSVI and would have 0 effect on
existing applications (the adorned document would even still be a valid
document per its original schema).

Eric

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Feb/0057.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Feb/0161.html