   Re: [xml-dev] canonicalization

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> At 10:35 PM +0100 3/3/02, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>
>>OTH, when I have submitted a while ago [1] the same concerns about
>>the impact of external parsed entities on c14n, the answer has been
>>that C14 was about logical documents rather than physical files.
>
> Canonicalization (really XPath) requires resolution of all external
> parsed entities. There is no fallback mechanism in the event that an
> external entity is missing.If you cannot resolve all external
> entities, then you cannot generate the appropriate XPath data model.
> There is no chance that two correct processors will produce different
> canonical forms depending on time and network topology. Everybody who
> succeeds in producing a canonical document produces the same one.
> That's a key difference between external entities and XInclude.

But isn't this difference more historical than technical?

If you build an application on XInclude, you will want this inclusion
to be as transparent as possible and the document before XInclude may be
meaningless, as meaningless as a XML document without its external
parsed entities. In both case, you can generate *a* XPath data model and
this data model is not appropriate in either case and is not *the* XPath
data model of the merged document.

I wonder if we do not see external parsed entities as "more core" than
XInclude just because we are used to them.

Eric
--
See you in Seattle.
                                        http://knowledgetechnologies.net/