   RE: RE: [xml-dev] Will Web Services Kill HTTP?

  • To: "Jens Jakob Andersen, PDI" <jens.jakob.andersen@post.dk>,"xml-dev" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: RE: [xml-dev] Will Web Services Kill HTTP?
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 13:22:23 -0700

Besides the fact that the phrase "web services" contains the word "web" I don't see anything that implies that web services require HTTP in any way, shape or form.

From what I've seen of web services there are mainly RPC calls that use XML as the data transfer format. Even though toolkits such as VS.NET produce a user friendly page for people to try out a page[0,1] in general people aren't expected to browse to a web service and interact with it. Thus the primary protocol could be NNTP, SMTP, or FTP (all severely abused) behind the seens and most web service applications wouldn't be able to tell much of the difference.

Please enlighten me as to why you think web services *need* HTTP.

[0]http://www.vbws.com/services/weatherretriever.asmx
[1]http://services.develop.co.za/GetLocalTime.asmx

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM

You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.