   Re: [xml-dev] The vision for XPath 2.0

At 10:54 AM 5/10/2002 -0400, AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:

>What was the vision for XPath 2.0? It would be good to be informed that there
>is a clear, practical and relevant vision for XPath 2.0.

The requirements document for XPath 2.0 is here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20req

It's been out for over a year. I don't think it has really received all
that much feedback. I gather these are features that at least some XPath
users have asked for.

I think there is a clear vision behind XPath 1.0 and a clear vision for
XQuery. Then the obvious question is this: which things in XQuery are
useful in XPath? Answering that question is the vision behind XPath 2.0.
Concrete feedback on how we are doing is always appreciated - which
features do you want, and why?

In practice, I think most people are thinking of XPath 2.0 as the part of
XQuery that gets used in XSLT.

Jonathan