   Re: What is the XPath Task Force?

At 10:34 AM 5/10/2002 -0400, AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 10/05/02 14:31:50 GMT Daylight Time,
>jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com writes:
>
>>Mike Kay forwarded your email to our internal lists. I will try to
>>summarize the results of this thread for the XPath task force, and ask for
>>this to be put on our agenda.
>
>Jonathan,
>
>What is the purpose of the XPath Task Force? Where does it fit in the
>development of XPath 2.0? What is its relationship to the WG?

In the W3C, Working Groups are the decision making bodies. Two years ago,
XPath 2.0 and XQuery were separate languages, with very similar
functionality. We decided to put together a task force to coordinate
development of the two languages. We felt that a common data model was
important, and that any expression supported by both languages should
operate the same way. Therefore, we decided to set up a task force to
coordinate communication between the XSL and XML Query Working Groups.

Most task forces are not as ambitious as this one. The XPath task force
meets once a week, has its own internal mailing list, and has face to face
meetings, just like a Working Group. However, decisions made by the task
force must be ratified by both the XSL and XML Query Working Groups.

Jonathan