   Re: [xml-dev] Objections to / uses of PSVI?

Ron,

>>> Would you be averse to something PSVI-like if it only meant
>>> returning a much-restricted set of simple data types?
>>
>> If you only had primitive types, then don't you lose default values
>> for complex types?
>
> Complex types can have default values? Are you sure? My reading of
> the spec (the definition of {value constraint} in section 3.3.2) is
> anything but definitive, but I think it means that only simple
> element types can have defaults. On the other hand "Schema
> Information Set Contribution: Element Default Value" in section
> 3.3.5 seems to hint that complex types can have defaults. Must have
> forgotten my schema spec decoder ring today ... mumble ... mumble

You're right with your first reading. Types can't have default values;
only elements and attributes can have default or fixed values. The
"Schema Information Set Constribution: Element Default Value" is
talking about the {value constraint} property on the element
declaration schema component.

Cheers,

Jeni

---