   Re: [xml-dev] Proposal (was Re: [Sax-devel] Re: SAX survey: expected lo

At 11:56 PM 6/2/2002 -0700, Ronald Bourret wrote:
> > How about:
> > 1) The qName parameter is renamed "rawName", and documentation explains
> > that this is both the Qualified Name in namespace-aware processing and the
> > Name in namespace-unaware processing.
>
>-1. rawName doesn't mean anything. qName does.

Sure.  Just "name" would be fine by me.  Less meaning may be good in this case.

> > 2) A filter which copies rawName to localName in the event that localName
> > is empty or null is included in the org.xml.sax.helpers package.  This way,
> > developers can adapt filters and applications which work using
> > namespace-aware expectations to namespace-unaware processing without having
> > to retrofit their code.
>
>But why would we want to do this? So far, nobody has reported a parser
>that doesn't report the element type name in localName when namespace
>processing is turned off,

Yuval Oren reported this on sax-devel:
>My own tests show AElfred2, Crimson, Piccolo, and Xerces to return empty
>strings for localName when namespace processing is disabled. Oracle and
>MinML2 dodge the issue by not supporting turning off namespace processing.

That's many more than nobody.

>  and everybody (admittedly a small sample) is
>writing code that relies on the value in localName. The change you
>suggest would break existing applications.

I agree - it would would break my applications.

>I vote that we change the docs to align with current practice and remove
>the ambiguity. This would be backwards incompatible in the theoretical
>world but backwards compatible in the real world.

That's my dream, but I don't feel it likely.
Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue