   RE: [xml-dev] Interesting mailing list & a rare broadside

  • To: "Murali Mani" <mani@CS.UCLA.EDU>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Interesting mailing list & a rare broadside
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 17:09:55 -0700

Besides the unintuitive attribute wildcard behavior there didn't seem to
be anything that esoteric in what he said. I'd love to be on the mailing
list to debate some his points with him but c'est la vie.

I do however agree that mandating W3C XML Schema as a formalism when it
is no such thing is an unwise decision.

Actually scratch that. On reading the IETF XML Guideline Draft[0] it
seems that they are specifying that W3C XML Schema should be the default
schema language used by the IETF for XML protocols which is not what the
snippet in JC's original mail led me to believe. I was probably thrown
off by the word "formalism".

For this case, I'm not sure I see as much reason to argue with this. W3C
XML Schema is already used by the W3C for its XML protocol work and
standardization not balkanization should be the order of the day. Most
of the arguments about the complexity of W3C XML Schema for the average
end user don't apply to Internet protocols. After all, how many regular
users look at SOAP messages or HTTP requests?

[0]
http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/ids/draft-hollenbeck-ietf-xml-guidelines-04.
txt

--