   Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema considered harmful?

only one comment --

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Michael Leditschke wrote:

> >From point 7:
>
> "In W3C XML Schema there is no way to specify what is allowed as the
> root element."
>

> I've probably completely missed the point here, but doesn't an XML Schema
> that only has one global element achieve the above? Maybe its a matter of
> semantics but that's how it's panned out in practice for me thus far.
>
> Where more than one element is valid as the root of a document, I have
> declared the corresponding global elements.

The purpose of global element is not to specify the possible root
elements, it just happens to be a side-effect. Global element declarations
affect other things such as substitution groups in XML-Schema.

In my opinion, this has always been one of the big defects with XML-Schema
-- want to do something, do something else -- and claim that you can do 10
different things..

anyways, cheers and regards - murali.