   XML Schema considered harmful?

> Also, it's not often that James opens the ports, rolls out all the
> cannons, and lets go with a full broadside, but you don't want to miss
> it when it happens:
>
>   http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-use/mail-archive/msg00217.html

James states a number of reasons to prefer RELAX NG. I was somewhat
hesitant to write given his standing, but in the areas of XML Schema
use on which he touches, my experience leads me to different conclusions.

From point 2:

"I often hear people say: "It doesn't really matter that the spec W3C
XML Schema Rec is so hard to understand; only W3C XML Schema
implementors need to do this". I think this is misguided.  People who
want to be sure they have understood exactly what a particular W3C XML
schema means also have to understand the W3C XML Schema Rec."

In terms of the complexities of specs, yes XML Schema Part 1 makes
difficult reading but the Primer, Part 0, is quite readable and, to
their credit, was updated with each release of the spec. It covers the
ground and I have only occasionally had to refer to Part 1, despite
designing schemas using a large percentage of the supported constructs.

For the people James alludes to who don't want to write validators but want
to know what's valid, section 6 of the RELAX NG spec to me is pretty
daunting. It may be a more solid theoretical foundation but is it
a lot more readable to the audience he is targetting?

From point 4:

"There is no way to say [in XML Schemas]
that either attribute X or attribute Y is allowed or that either
attribute X or element Y is allowed.  In my experience, this sort of
constraint is extremely common in XML grammars."

The level of co-constraint checking offered by RELAX NG is an improvement
on their absence in XML Schema but is this more than leap-frogging? I would
also add that the situations where I needed co-constraints were often
content based, e.g. if element X contains "5", attribute Y should be
present.
I may have missed it, but the support in RELAX NG seems, by the nature of
RELAX NG, purely structural. I assume I will need to add Schematron to the
mix,
which is the same situation as with XML Schema currently.

From point 7:

"In W3C XML Schema there is no way to specify what is allowed as the
root element."

I've probably completely missed the point here, but doesn't an XML Schema
that only has one global element achieve the above? Maybe its a matter of
semantics but that's how it's panned out in practice for me thus far.

Where more than one element is valid as the root of a document, I have
declared the corresponding global elements.