   Re: [xml-dev] Interesting mailing list & a rare broadside

> > I'm not sure how many people read those messages directly, but I'd
> > certainly be unhappy if <bar /> got past the validator when I
> > was expecting
> > <foo /> as in Clark's point 7.
>
> Both the XmlValidatingReader in the .NET framework and MSXML will throw
> errors because no type definition exists for the <bar /> element.

One of the parsers I tried it with was the latest version of MSXML (which I
generally find to be excellent, BTW).

Here's example.xml:

<bar/>

Here's example.xsd:

<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
  elementFormDefault="qualified"
  xmlns="http://www.example.com";
  targetNamespace="http://www.example.com";>

<xs:element name="foo">
  <xs:complexType/>
</xs:element>

</xs:schema>

Here's the example.js I used to perform the validation:

var schemas = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.XMLSchemaCache.4.0");
schemas.add("http://www.example.com";, "example.xsd");

var x = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.4.0");
x.async = false;
x.schemas = schemas;
x.validateOnParse = true;
x.load("example.xml");
if (x.parseError.errorCode != 0)
  WScript.Echo("invalid: " + x.parseError.reason);
else
  WScript.Echo("valid");

When I run example.js, it says "valid".  Note that if you add
xmlns="http://www.example.com"; to <bar/>, then it does report it as invalid.

Is there something else I should have done to make it report the example as
invalid?

James