   Re: [xml-dev] Interesting mailing list & a rare broadside

MSXML SOM API, has a IsValid() function that allows validation
of XML content against a specifically retrieved type (element, attribute
or type definition). Great ! However, somehow, (surprisingly), SOM
does not validate against complex content, not so great.

illustrated here,
http://www.mobileworkspace.com/SampleCodes/XSDValidate.html

If IsValid() could be made to support validation of complex content,
IMO it should and I don't see why not, then we can retrieve a
specific definition (a "root" element definition, say) to validate against
the XML content rather than use validate() against a set of global
definitions/declarations and leave it to appropriate substitution
which of course increases the likelihood of accepting un-expected
valid content. This is potentially mind-boggling for any complex
deeply linked schemas even without the obscure surprises;
having many versions of a schema, each explicitly "enforcing" its
own root element to validate for an expected XML input, makes
schema maintenance quite un-manageable too; IMO equally
undesirable.

IsValid() is a good feature and it should strictly validate <only>
against the type specified.

IMO, this greater grain of control could fix some of the ambiguities
raised, albeit from an API angle.

I find both XSD and RNG usable and each has their strength
and weaknesses. I support the call for MSXML to support both
XSD and RNG with a common base object model/API,
so that we can switch between the two via some parameter
twitching and not re-writing complete codes.