   RE: [xml-dev] xsi:type and broken contracts

  • To: "Amelia A Lewis" <amyzing@talsever.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] xsi:type and broken contracts
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:52:55 -0700

I think Jeni did a good job clearing up your misconceptions. However
there is one problem with xsi:type which has been bothering me for the
past couple of days. The xsi:type screws up the kind of type aware
processing that will be enabled with XQuery and XSLT.

With XQuery and XSLT one can attempt to process elements based on their
XSD types but with xsi:type one can both restrict and extend these types
in the instance document unbeknownst to the author of the processing
code. At first glance it seems like both these mechanisms do not
radically alter the content model in such a manner that carefully
written type aware processors will be rendered ineffective.

However until applications start getting built there probably is no sure
way to tell if my fears are unfounded or not.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
Work smarder and not harder and be careful of yor speling.

rights.