   RE: [xml-dev] Can RDDL and RDF coexist?

URIs are a convenience for creating logical constants in RDF, not
for hyperlinking. Blanket assertions about XML hyperlinking doesn't
make it so in RDF. I note you quoted hyperlinking, a hyperlink here
implies representation retrieval.

> > ... That some RDF constants might have a retrievable RDF
> schema at the
> > end of them is a happy coincidence (unless you're Patrick ;)
>
> How could that be true for "rdf:About"?

The fact that the URI may also be used retrieve information is a
neat trick, but it is a trick and it is not part of RDF.

> > The thing to do is keep the code that reasons about the
> graph separate
> > from the code that streams information into the graph.
>
> It doesn't matter how you segment it.

I think it does.

> You haven't answered my question. Some piece of software
> stumbles upon "eg:Document". It doesn't know about
> eg:Document yet. It knows a bunch about eg:Work. eg:Document
> is a subclass of eg:Work, so everything it knows about
> eg:Work should apply to eg:Document. How does it discover the
> subclass relationship? I don't care how you segment it into
> rdf processor and application.

Noted.

There's no facility in RDF to retrieve such information. Retrieval
is sensibly punted to something can do retrieval, hence I make the
distinction. I did answer your question, but perhaps I didn't make
myself clear. I'll try again: you do whatever you think makes sense
to get the information. That can be called a local convention or a
hack, but whatever you call it, it is beyond RDF's ambit to do so.

Bill de hÓra