   Re: [xml-dev] xsi:type and broken contracts

Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> writes:

> Henry S. Thompson" wrote:

> > That was certainly the goal.  If you _do_ depend only required
> > sub-parts/attributes, and _don't_ access sub-parts by working backwards
> > from the end, you will always win regardless of xsi:type.
> Is it that simple? What if I have a content model like
> <!ELEMENT a (b,c)+> (but expressed in XML Schema!)
> Can someone extend it:
> <!ELEMENT a' ((b,c)+,c,b)>

> If so, that could really confuse most element-triggered processing
> specifications.

Not sure what you mean.  This is a difficult case to start with (it's
DT/DD under another name, a well-known pain for XPath).  But if I
tackle it in the usual way, i.e. by recursion over the nodelist
picking of b+c pairs, it will work just fine, i.e. stop after the b+c
pairs run out, ignoring the new material.

Which, I should clarify, is what I take it the MNTDV is -- processes
designed to work with the unextended type should work with instances
of the extended type just as they would have if the extra material
wasn't there.