   Actually, resistance is proving far from futile

> Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> > Can you elaborate, please, on what is the "document style"?
>
> When SOAP is used to ship arbitrary XML documents, as opposed to the RPC
> encoding of Section 5.
>
> Paul Prescode:

Say who?

>  > According to the SOAP intelligensia, the
> > document style is the future of SOAP.
>
> Your REST bias is showing, Paul. :)  Certainly many feel that way (MSFT
> being one of the most vocal proponents), but not all of us.

Well, Rich, you and I have disagreed on this since time immemorial, so I won't re-hash the technical argument yet again.

But I'm just coming from XML Web Services One, and I can tell you that all over the place, the discussion, and informal orthodoxy is that the document style of SOAP is its future.  This position came from all quarters, not just the MS folks there, but folks from XMethods, IBM/Apache, DevelopMentor, Sun, Excelon, Software AG, Intel, IONA, etc.

I'm not usually one to bother what big firms have to say about anything technically pertinent, but I must say that this unmistakable buzz took me aback.

See

http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1679

I was also taken aback by the ubiquity of RDF at the conference.  Everyone was talking about it (including all the MS folks), and for the first time at any conference I've attended it seemed the clear majority was aware of and very interested in RDF.

And the XML WS One crowd is not the usual egg-head semantic markup crowd, but almost exclusively IS folks from big companies.

It was a very surprising (and pleasing) conference for people with biases such as mine, and Paul's.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One (San Jose, Boston): http://www.xmlconference.com/
DAML Reference - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/05/01/damlref.html
The Languages of the Semantic Web - http://www.newarchitectmag.com/documents/s=2453/new1020218556549/index.html
XML, The Model Driven Architecture, and RDF @ XML Europe - http://www.xmleurope.com/2002/kttrack.asp#themodel