   RE: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

> Aaron Skonnard wrote:

> > I give full credit to TBL for "inventing" the Web and
> > the technologies it was built on. I give credit to vendors
> > like Netscape and MS for making it ubiquitous today (and
> > I'm not going to defend MS's business practices).

> Let me suggest the opposite theory. Where there is a big user
> community, big companies will get involved, whether they add
> new value or not. That's a good thing, because usually they do
> add value. But their arrival is a *consequence* of popularity
> and success, not a *cause* of popularity and success. For
> further evidence we can look at the various phenomena that are
> reaching the mainstream without bigco participation
> like peer to peer file sharing, mailing lists and blogs.
>

> If Web Service technologies only find approval with vendors
> then they will go the way of DCOM and CORBA. You need *user
> pull* for vendor solutions. We are in serious danger of having
> our hype bubble pricked when people try to implement real
> systems and find out that this stuff is really difficult both
> conceptually and because of bloat in the standards.
>
>  Paul Prescod

The key difference with the Web services is that the technology appeals
more to business applications than end-user applications.

B2Bi and EAI are the key beneficiaries, at least over the near term.
That's why *user pull* doesn't really matter and the analogy to
HTTP/HTML breaks down. Sorry for bringing it up.

-aaron
http://staff.develop.com/aarons