   RE: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

> Amelia A Lewis wrote:
>
> > In XML, typing specifies validation algorithms.
>
> Tim Bray:
>
> Hmm... well it also allows software to unpack XML instances into
native
> storage in a sensible way without being savvy to the internals of the
> applications that generated or will use the data.
>
> My question is, is there a need for this? -Tim

It also facilitates the reverse scenario: exposing strongly-typed data
(database, object graph, whatever...) as an Infoset, which can be
processed using any of XML's layered services (XPath, XSLT, XML Query,
etc.) in a natural way. The demand for such functionality seems to be
growing as businesses see it simplifying the server integration story.

-aaron