   RE: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 10:40:51AM +0200, bryan wrote:

> 	2. It's got datatyping; I submit that is only beneficial to
  [snip]
> which I am uncertain of). The best ones seem to be happy saying price
> can be a decimal, do users maybe mess up often by entering  $1,000.00
> instead of 1000.00 - of course most often they allow you to write
> something like: <currencyType>USD</currencyType><price>1000.00</price>
> still not what I consider optimal; and how many users are going to be
> happy entering in Gregorian Dates? Well you get the point.

Data entry is a user interface issue. There are plenty of applications
out there that allow you to type in "June 11, 2002", then store it as,
e.g., 2002-06-11. I don't think anyone is saying end users should be
subject to such rigid constraints, or if they are they should be slapped
silly.

Reply:

And if the user interface is an xml editor into which the user enters
the content for their E-Catalog or what have you. To my mind the person
using the editor is still a user.