   Re: [xml-dev] Data binding as type definition

Amelia A Lewis scripsit:

> It follows that the first question to ask is "what is a type?"

Very well.  A (simple) type is a named set of values.

> Therefore, to create a data library definition language
> (which is what I think XML Schema part two should have been), one needs to
> create a language capable of describing validation algorithms.

In principle, it is known that a context-free grammar is strong enough.
In practice, a regular grammar is probably strong enough, but may be ugly
in particular cases of practical interest:  it is painful to write a regex
that matches all integers between -200 and 55678.

> If in fact language binding is a significant part of how a simple type is
> defined,

I don't think anybody argues this.  Rather, the claim is that language
binding is an important *application* of types.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com