   RE: [xml-dev] Data binding as type definition

> At 12:37 PM 6/11/2002 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> >Simon St.Laurent scripsit:
> >
> > > I guess I think of those constraints as bonus things you can do
> > > once you have identified a type, not as something intrinsic to a
> > > particular type.  Sort of like constraints applied through
> > > get/set accessors in Java.
> >
> >Note my definition of type: a named class of values.  (The
> >name can be a complex name, of course, like "non-negative
> >integer" or "integer between -200 and 55678".)
>
> Yep.  That's completely different from my notion of type (for
> XML, anyway), which is a set of values with a common lexical
> representation.  That representation can include both markup
> and textual representation.

I agree with John that a type is a named value-space. I also agree with
Simon that for type to be useful in XML, its value-space must correspond
to a well-defined lexical-space. This is exactly what XML Schema
provides.

-aaron
http://staff.develop.com/aarons