   Re: [xml-dev] Data binding as type definition

Aaron Skonnard scripsit:

> > Yep.  That's completely different from my notion of type (for
> > XML, anyway), which is a set of values with a common lexical
> > representation.  That representation can include both markup
> > and textual representation.
>
> I agree with John that a type is a named value-space. I also agree with
> Simon that for type to be useful in XML, its value-space must correspond
> to a well-defined lexical-space. This is exactly what XML Schema
> provides.

I don't think "well-defined lexical space" can be taken to be synonymous
with "common lexical representation", though I don't quite understand
what Simon means by "common".  A legitimate, though perhaps not very
useful, type would be "footype": {"foo", 32, 64, 79.9, "hike!"}, with
the obvious lexical representation {"foo", "32", "64", "79.9", "hike!"}.
But I don't know if Simon thinks this list of lexical representations
are "common".

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com