   Re: [xml-dev] SOAP, XSD, and HTTP

6/12/2002 2:10:36 PM, "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

>I wish it was that simple.  SHOWing people examples isn't exactly a winning
>hand when a small army of vendors large and small has spent a year crowing
>that their magical toolkits will erase interoperability problems.

Cheer up ... remember Bob and Blackbird ....the folks at Microsoft may
or may not be evil :~) but they are certainly not stupid.
If REST is really more successful in the real world, the vendors will
embrace and extend it as happily as  they did HTML, HTTP, XML, etc.,
and the magical toolkits will generate HTTP as readily as they do SOAP-RPC today.

But don't underestimate the very real challenges that HTTP doesn't address
"out of the box", so RESTful applications do have to address them.
It's neither stupid nor evil to hope for an infrastructure-level
solution to the reliability, transaction, business-level
message routing, etc. issues that Mr. Box refers to when he criticizes HTTP.
The challenge is to build solutions to these problems in a way that doesn't
negate the advantages of the Web architecture, which is going to be interesting.
All those ugly useless SOAP headers just might come in handy ... Of course,
that might be the Kool-Aid speaking :~)