   RE: [xml-dev] SOAP, XSD, and HTTP

Mike Champion wrote:

> But looking ahead, it is very likely that SOAP will be used
> to provide a *framework* for protocol interoperability (much
> like XML provides a framework for data interoperability).

Well said. This clearly highlights the potential value of SOAP. Building
support for things like network virtualization, flexible messaging
patterns, security, reliability, transactions, etc., into an XML-based
message framework gives us a central rendevous point. Interoperability
is derived from the XML message being...

1. Easy to extend   (thanks to soap:Header and namespaces)
2. Easy to describe (thanks to WSDL + XSD)
3. Easy to process  (thanks to ubiquitous XML tools)

Paul Prescode wrote:

> We could have added the features we needed to HTTP but
> instead we've invented a whole new architecture...

For some reason I find it hard to believe that it would have been any
easier by simply adding features to HTTP. For example, how would rich
description, which has required a great deal of time & energy, have been
any easier in a pure HTTP framework?

-aaron
http://staff.develop.com/aarons