   Re: RE: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile

6/13/02 3:53:03 PM, "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

>Why do drive up ATM buttons have Braille on them? *

The classic "free feature" scenario; if product B (in this case, keytops with Braille) can do
everything that product A (plain keytops) do and cost no more to make, then there's no point in
producing both, and lots of reason (in this case, the fact that injection molds are expensive) not
to.

How do we decide, when preparing a spec, whether a feature is a "free feature" as opposed to a
"creeping feature"?  Presumably not the way the XSD WG did :)

>Why does Hawaii have Interstates? *

Premature name binding.  The program's name was wedded to its original scope, which later expanded.
This one reminds me of "wParam" in MS Windows programming.

>Why do pants come in pairs but bras come in singles? *

The name of the interface was too closely tied to the implementation, which changed after the name
stuck (also reminds me of wParam).

>Logic won't always get us all the meaning.
>
>(* thanks to George Carlin for making us think about thinking)

Did you consciously intend to make all three examples relevant to the issue of whether or not a
schema language should specify a fixed set of simple types?