   Re: [xml-dev] Come On, DTD, Come On! Thoughts on DSDL Part 9

John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> wrote:
| Arjun Ray scripsit:

| But if multiple tokens, then the data content notation should apply
| to each token, *not* to the entire list of tokens.

Agreed.

|>   <!ENTITY % foo  ' A | B | C' >
|>   <!ENTITY % bar  ', D, E' >
|>   <!ENTITY % quux  '%foo; %bar;' >
|>
|>   <!ATTLIST (%quux)  blort CDATA #IMPLIED>
|
| What is the difference between | and , separators?

Here, none.  Which, IMHO, is just unnecessary uglification.

| The only one that makes sense to me is | (choice).

Semantically, yes.  But what happens in SGML is that the same PE gets used
in model groups (with one purpose) and in ATTLISTs (with another): this is
why the syntax of a parenthesized set of associated element types allows
any mix-and-match of separators from model group syntax.  (I suppose my
real agenda is putting PEs out to pasture, so I'd like a syntax that works
*against* "re-suing" PEs for model groups in other declarations where
there is no semantic other than choice.)

|> I'd say the application invokes it, through some interface that allows
|> specification of the relevant declarations (and I suppose, the root).
|> But I don't see how this is relevant to DTD syntax.
|
| Well, the declaration of doc-elem-form is inside the DTD.

Actually, it isn't.  There is no requirement (AFAIK) that the ArchUse PI
appear within the subsets of a document type declaration - it can be a
free standing PI in the document instance (ie another part of the prolog.)