   RE: [xml-dev] Illegal Characters in Namespace URIs

Not so. The reason WebDAV "gets away" with the badly chosen namespace name is the fact that RFC2396+ is going to allow empty scheme-specific parts, making "just the scheme name" a valid URI. At least that's my understanding of the outcome of the discussion.