   Re: [xml-dev] MSXML + Xerces DOM compatibility

Elena,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

The link you have sent has information on how to build a COM wrapper on top
of the Xerces parser. But I need some way to get the DOM_Node (and other
classes from the MSXML parser) . MSXML publishes the IXMLDOMNODE ...and
other interfaces, but does not expose any method from which I can directly
get the DOM classes.

Let me give a brief history of what I am trying to do:

I have a set of classes that make use of the Xerces C++ parser (obviously
use the DOM classes  implemented in Xerces).  I want to be able to keep
using the same set of classes with any other parser.  I want to detect at
runtime, which parser is installed on the client system. For windows
platform, MSXML comes with the IE installation, so the most natural choice
will be to use it. But the problem I run into is that the MSXML parser does
not return the same DOM classes as Xerces (e.g. Xerces returns me DOM_Node,
while MSXML returns me IXMLDOMNODE. Is there a way to get the DOM_Node
class from the IXMLDOMNode.......).

As you can see , I do not want to implement the already built logic for
each and every parser, and the underlying asssumption would be that if the
parser supports W3C DOM specification, then the same interfaces /classes
will be exposed by all the parsers.

Thanks,
Kundan.

                      Elena Litani
                      <elitani@ca.ibm.         To:      kundan.upadhyay@kodak.com
                      com>                     cc:      xml-dev@lists.xml.org
                                               Subject: Re: [xml-dev] MSXML + Xerces DOM compatibility
                      06/14/02 03:38
                      PM

There are seems to be 2 questions here:

1. Is there a DOM C++ Binding?

There is no official W3C DOM C++ binding.
The Xerces-C++ is putting together a "Apache Recommended DOM C++
Binding" document.
It will be made available in the next release.
Currently you can refer to the draft in CVS:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-xerces/c/doc/html/ApacheDOMC%2b%2bBinding.html

2. How to talk to MSXML IXMLDOMNode.

The Xerces-C++ has COM Wrapper to help users talking
to MSXML IXMLDOMNode.   However such COM Wrapper currently is being
deprecated, and is not being maintained actively.   Users can use it "as
is".   See http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/build-misc.html#WinCOM for
details.

If you have more questions about Xerces C++ you might want to send those
to xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org mailing list.

Thx,
--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto