   Re: [xml-dev] XUL available application, examples, demo. development?

  • To: "bryan" <bry@itnisk.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XUL available application, examples, demo. development?
  • From: "Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer" <schnitz@mozquito.com>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:04:59 +0200

Bryan,

I agree, the other important aspect is how quickly people
will understand and author an XML UI language. Re-using
and extending XHTML means people can start from where
they are today. That is, IMHO, the way to go.

On a more personal, biased note: I'm extremely satisfied with
the success of the Modularization of XHTML. I spent over two
years developing this spec. At the time we worked on this,
literally no-one understood its value, at least that was my
impression. Everyone was off developing their completely new
XML language, and much later they realized that "the hardest
thing to change are the neurons in the brains of the people"
(c) Dave Raggett. Learning a new markup language is hard
and takes a lot of time, and everyone already knows HTML.

- Sebastian

	>It looks like XUL is the way to go for user interfaces.

	Well I had some errors in XUL in (I believe it was) Netscape 6.2
at one
	point, that being it wouldn't recognize a prefix shift on the
xul
	namespace. So this prejudiced me against it.

	Anyhow I think most of the UI building I see using Xml is wrong
headed
	especially when a lot of the languages replicate interfaces one
is
	already familiar with from HTML, thus it seems to me that the
best way
	to build a UI is to build an XHTML module and extend it as
necessary.

	For example as I do a lot of command line stuff I built a simple
XHTML
	based language with some extensions, the upshot of which is that
any of
	my co-workers who has simple html and css skills can learn to
build an
	interface and then "compile" it with an XSL-T, producing a form
for
	accessing the command line.