   stopping XML (was RE: [xml-dev] Relax NG Projects)

At 02:50 PM 6/21/2002 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>We could do what Erik Naggum wanted and that
>would make several posters happy:  return
>to the one true information pure system:  LISP.
>Kill the syntax, namespace, RDF and schema
>bogeyman with one fast cleave.  Now that's 80/20
>at work.

For some kinds of information, it's pretty clear that Erik Naggum is right.

For other kinds of information, XML (even with namespaces) likely makes
more sense.

For yet other kinds of information, RDF makes much more sense than either
LISP or XML.

For some kinds of information, object models make infinitely more sense
than XML's loose treee.

For other kinds of information, relational tables are by far the most
efficient and appropriate approach.

I think the XML community, myself included, gravely over-extended itself by
claiming that XML was capable of solving problems in all of these spaces
effectively.  W3C XML Schema seems like the poster-child for what happens
when that hubris is taken seriously and piles of new features to support
all these areas get added.

I also think it's past time for a lot of us to take a closer look at the
tools we have and the work we do and ask which tools are most appropriate
to which work, and talk a lot more about that.  Talking amongst ourselves
about it is a good start, but we also need to talk with customers, vendors,
and other folks looking at XML.

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue