   Re: [xml-dev] Best Practice - beyond schema

Paul,

A couple of comments below and note the related thread earlier this
month with the title "schema management for a document pipeline:
request for comment" from Bob DuCharme, LexisNexis.

At 9:18 am +0100 19/6/02, Paul Spencer wrote:
>Time, I think for a summary. I know Roger does these well, but I will
>have a go in this case since I raised the issue.
>
>What we are trying to do is take a global XML Schema schema, i.e. one
>defined for world-wide use, and tailor it for a specific locale. One
>suggestion was to leave this to the authority in each locale to do,
>and that is reasonable, but they still need a mechanism. Here are some
>choices:
>
>1. Alter the original schema documents
>2. Use <xs:redefine> to create new documents
>3. Supplement with an additional (possibly embedded) schema using an
>alternative schema language
>4. Use XSLT
>5. Embed all the locale material in a single document and use a
>pre-processor to create the locale-specifc versions
>
>I would immediately like to rule out option 1 for change management
>reasons.

.. unless you can manage the variations, which is the subject of my
response to Bob's posting, title above. Whichever way you turn, there
is a change management problem lurking here! More on this at
http://www.deltaxml.com/schema-pipeline/, based on Bob's example.

>I would also like to rule out option 5 and any others that involve
>embedding local requirements in global documents. This could work on a
>smaller scale, but here we have potentially thousands of local
>variations, so it is totally impractical.

This is exactly the approach Bob suggests, see his description at
http://www.snee.com/xml/schemaStages.html

>Thanks to all for the discussion.
>
>--
>Paul Spencer