   Re: [xml-dev] Suggestions for a slightly less verbose (and easierto aut

Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> When you edit with a text editor, then terseness is of extreme importance.

Maybe. I use Emacs+PSGML+DynamicCompletion, which is a
a bit of XML aware. Even without a DTD, it closes elements
for me, provides completion on opening tags and attribute
names if they are already used elsewhere and does quite a
good job on automatic indentation. With a DTD, you get
more. It is easy to deploy. You can stick a note to
the monitor telling which menu points are used to open a
file, kill a buffer and exit the editor. On Windows
platforms you can drag'n'drop files from the explorer
into the editor window. You can customize Emacs further
if necessary.

There are other generic XML editors which may be more
amenable to DAUs and which are even better at hiding quite
a bit of the verboseness of XML. We've used XMLSpy
successfully for people who have to edit a variety of
XML files once in a while.

So why do people think it is either Notepad or a full blown
customized XML editor?

J.Pietschmann