   Re: [xml-dev] XMLSchema for object programmers: was Announce: XML Schema

Sorta.  There's a bit of schizophrenia about whether the Model is static structure only or also dynamic behavior.  Of course it will have to include behavior to be the leap forward OMG intends.  The problem is that in a fit of what I consider madness the UML has been put forth as the representation of the model.  UML that doesn't even have the most basic support for concept modeling (i.e. global identifiers) and UML that is firmly rooted in implementation matters rather than conceptual modeling matters (the PIM is a straight-up crock).

Mind you, XML Schema languages, including WXS are not suited for conceptual modeling either.  They can be made so with identifiers added through annotation (and some normative rules to govern the IDs) plus annotations in business rule languages.  Or one can more properly keep them in the proper place and use systems designed for conceptual modeling such as RDF and Topic Maps.

> I think Uche did a presentation on MDA and RDF at Barcelona.

XML/MDA/RDF.  Slides here:

http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/presentations/xmleurope-2002/

By coincidence, I just got back from lunch with Bob Marcus and Dave Carlson discussing these very topics.  They are both leading thinkers in the intersection between XML/OMG and ontology technologies, and Dave is also a leading practitioner.  I recommend his article:

http://www.sdmagazine.com/documents/s=7032/sdm0204g/0204g.htm

His XML 2001 paper:

http://www.xmlmodeling.com/articles/IntegratingXMLData.pdf

And his book: