   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the question)

David Carlisle writes:
> > To put it bluntly, I'm saying that NO ONE EVER SHOULD CREATE MARKUP
> > WHICH FOLLOWS THIS PATTERN:
> >
> > <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.w3.org";
> > about="http://www.w3.org/not/really/I'm/just/kidding/">
>
> I AM SURE EVERYONE AGREES!
>
> But your suggested cure would seem to remove a lot more than just that
> kind of use.

I still don't see how saying that unprefixed attributes should be
treated as if they have the namespace of their containing element
removes any such use.  (Note that I'm not calling for slapping namespace
URIs on all these things, though I did write software to do that last
year.  I'm saying that applications and humans should ignore the
distinction.)

Global attributes with global prefixes are still out there at your
disposal.  Maybe it's worth making a point that namespaces for global
attributes should be distinct from namespaces for elements?  That seems
to be a fairly common design pattern, though I'm not sure I want to hold
up XLink or W3C XML Schema's xsi:stuff as a shining example.
--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!