   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the

Norman Gray scripsit:

> Namespaces (as I understand them) are a purely syntactical feature.

Yes.

> If some of the elements and attributes in an instance are in a certain
> namespace, then I can look at that instance with namespace-shaped
> spectacles and `see' only the things in that namespace.

Only in the sense that you can look at, say, attribute names with "r"-shaped
goggles and ignore all the ones that don't begin with "r".  Namespaces
are just a convention for extending the allowed names of element types and
attributes without changing the XML 1.0 WF rules.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
Consider the matter of Analytic Philosophy.  Dennett and Bennett are well-known.