   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the

Greetings,

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, John Cowan wrote:

> Norman Gray scripsit:
>
> > If some of the elements and attributes in an instance are in a certain
> > namespace, then I can look at that instance with namespace-shaped
> > spectacles and `see' only the things in that namespace.
>
> Only in the sense that you can look at, say, attribute names with "r"-shaped
> goggles and ignore all the ones that don't begin with "r".  Namespaces
> are just a convention for extending the allowed names of element types and
> attributes without changing the XML 1.0 WF rules.

Well yes, obviously, but that's not the point.

The point is that namespaces imply a generic transformation which
removes everything but the elements and attributes in a particular
namespace.  The resulting document can then be processed in a generic
way (I don't need to point out to you that this is an AF-style view).

That is, namespaces are _simple_, and the problems consist in how you
specify this generic transformation -- that is, what is and isn't in
the namespace -- and the current spec complicates this by introducing
the default namespace, then ducks the problems this causes by the
evasion in section 5.2.

Also, there's no role here for the `global attribute' nonsense.

All the best,

Norman

Norman Gray                        http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/
Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK     norman@astro.gla.ac.uk