   Re: [xml-dev] Use of "ANY"

Sorry if this comes through twice as I'm not sure if my last post went
through. I'm not used to having to hit "reply all" for thist list.

----

Yes, thanks for the correction. I was mistaken about DTD's "ANY" in that the
contents of the element still has to be declared tags. I had gotten it
confused with <xsd:any> in which the content needs only to be well-formed.

Let me rephrase:

  I'd like to use <xsd:any> to allow users to place presentation tags within
certain elements without my specifying exactly which presentation tags they
are allowed to use. Is this an acceptable practice?

  By "acceptable", I mean:
  1) is this explicitly prohibited or recommended by good practice?
  2) would the use of <xsd:any> be viewed as "unfinished" and thus work
against against the schema's acceptance by some body such as OASIS?

  Furthermore, if the use of <xsd:any> in this way is not acceptable, then
what are some acceptable uses of <xsd:any>, and what other mechanisms are
there to allow users to extend the schema?

I-Lin Kuo
Macromedia Certified ColdFusion 5.0 Advanced Developer
Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer
Ann Arbor, MI