   CORRECTION to XML Core WG needs input on xml:lang=""

The paragraph in my previous posting below was badly worded.

> Note: The existing code "und" is not synonymous with the proposed use of the
> empty string.  The "und" code means that the text is in some natural language,
> but we don't know which one; the empty string means that the text is not
> in a natural language.

It should have read:

> Note: The existing code "und" is not synonymous with the proposed use of the
> empty string.  The "und" code means that the text is in some natural language,
> but we don't know which one; the empty string is the same as not having
> an xml:lang attribute in scope, and may be used when the text is not
> in any natural language.

In addition, the current Schema for Schemas specifies a pattern facet
for xsd:language that excludes the null string; it is not clear whether
this trumps the prose in Section 3.3.3 or not.  The Schema WG will be
asked to clarify its position.

--
John Cowan
        jcowan@reutershealth.com