   RE: [xml-dev] Markup perspective not code (was RE: [xml-dev] Re: URIs,

And in pursuit of winning an argument, pinning an opponent,
putting the biggest one on the table, Aaron, you and
Bray lose the point.

XML as "an intersection" is what enables the non-programmer
to access the tasks of data design in a logical, easily
comprehended (at least is was before namespaces) way using
an easy to learn and apply (at least before namespaces) tool.
If they can do that, then your programs have something to
do.  Otherwise, who needs 'em.

Being a middle ground between the deep knowledge required
of the subject matter expert and the training of the
programmer is what is needed and was the promise of markup prior
to XML.  Whatever else XML has achieved, it has weakened
this and in so doing, weakened its practical appeal for
globally creating agreements for interoperating enterprises
as well as serving as the preferred syntax for creating
long live cycle documents.  In short, unless the programming
community takes its obligation to the user community seriously
and works with them rather than dictating to them, the
rise of XML is a disaster just as HTML was.

Authors don't need your respect.  You need their business.

len

From: Aaron Skonnard [mailto:aarons@develop.com]
> programming (or any other narrow practice).

:-) Well, we obviously don't interpret it the same way. Such a
fundamental divide seems like reason enough to me, especially if you
expect programmers like me to respect your earlier statement about the
list.