   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the

Greetings,

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, David Carlisle wrote:

> > removed non-XSLT-namespace _attributes_ it wouldn't be much use, but
> > that whole business works because XSLT processors are more-or-less
> > required to use Simon's best-practice recommendation, and take
> > unprefixed attributes in XSLT elements to be also in that namespace.
>
> But only if you use your own private definition of what it means to be
> in a namespace. XSLT processors can not assume that the version
> attribute in
> <xsl:stylesheet version=...
> is in the XSLT namespace because
> if the attribute was in the XSLT namespaec it would be equivalent to
> <xsl:stylesheet xsl:version=...
> and that's an error.

True, version and xsl:version are rather odd.

But in all the XSLT which I write, and all the XSLT exemplified in the
XSLT spec, XSLT attributes are written without any prefix.  Unless I'm
misreading the Namespace spec (in which case, someone _please_ correct
me), that means those attributes aren't in any namespace, and
specifically not in the XSLT namespace.

This isn't a private definition of what it means to be in a namespace.
I'm specifically _not_ saying that they are actually in the XSLT
namespace, because they appear not to be; I am saying that XSLT processors
do recognise those attributes, even though one reading of the XSLT spec
suggests they might not have to.  It's a practical demonstration of the
fact that some applications are already working as Simon is suggesting.

All the best,

Norman

Norman Gray                        http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/
Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK     norman@astro.gla.ac.uk