   Re: [xml-dev] Global/Local attributes

> Since we are all getting confused and since we are proposing a change in the
> way that certain attributes are handled when namespaces are involved, how
> abou this...  Suppose the following XML:
>
> <elem1 xmlns="http://example.com/ns1"; xmlns:x="http://example.com/ns2";>
>     <x:elem2 x:attr1="" attr2="" />
>     <elem3 attr3="" />
> </elem1>
>
> In the above, we know the following to be true according to the current rec:
>
> elem1 belongs to the default namespace ("http://example.com/ns1";).
> elem2 belongs to the "x" namespace (="http://example.com/ns2";).
> attr1 belongs to the "x" namespace.
> attr2 belongs to no namespace at all.
> elem3 belongs to the default namespace.
> attr3  belongs to... default namespace or no namespace?  ("Note that default
> namespaces do not apply directly to attributes." [1])
>
> According to the rec, I would have to say that "attr3" belongs to no
> namespace.
>
> Now, I hear what Simon has been saying.  And I know (I think) that he is
> mostly talking about the instance where you could have something like:
>
> <elem1 xmlns="http://example.com/ns1"; xmlns:x="http://example.com/ns2";>
>     <x:elem2 x:attr="" attr="" />
> </elem1>
>
> However, I would think that in the case above that "attr2" should belong to
> the default namespace, not the namespace that "elem2" belongs to.  The
> reason for this is that there is no other way to use attributes defined in
> the default namespace.  If you want, you could have a fall-back rule that
> says a non-prefixed attribute would belong to no namespace if a default
> namespace is not defined.  However, I think a rule like that would would
> reduce readability and be more error-prone.

Please, no.  I think that placing unprefixed attributes in the default
namespace would be *far* worse than what we have now.  Now would it address
the concerns motivating proposals for change in the namespaces REC.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC