   Re: [xml-dev] Keeping ISO 8879 Alive (was RE: [xml-dev] Markup perspecti

Mike Champion scripsit:

> "Infoset" people can also be minimalists, or they
> may have stopped worrying and learned to love the PSVI, the XQuery
> type system, etc.

Oddly, even being an editor of the Infoset I'm still more of a syntax
person.

> Another way forward, which I doubt if many people will agree with,
> might be refactor things along SGML "markup for authors" and
> XML "infoset for programmers" lines.  Agree on a basic syntax
> for XML 2.0 that removes most the stuff that the infoset throws away
> and causes the DOM (which basically tries to live in both the
> syntax and InfoSet worlds) fits, such as DTDs, entities, entity references,
> CDATA sections.  That's not to say that people should stop using
> entities and CDATA sections, just to say that they "properly" belong in
> the SGML world where "syntax sugar" is respected and supported.

What I'd like to see for XML 2.0 is a clean separation into two layers:
a "top layer" that understands elements, attributes, namespaces, ids, and PIs;
and a "bottom layer" that understands character references (by name or number),
comments, and literal sections.  Each layer would be separately processable;
perhaps it would be good for all bottom-layer constructs to be introduced
by "&", e.g. "&-- ... &--" for comments and "&< ... &>" for literal sections.
This would mean a break with the reference concrete syntax of SGML, but
perhaps would still be declarable as a concrete syntax -- I don't know enough
to say if that's true.

--
One art / There is                      John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
No less / No more                       http://www.reutershealth.com