   Re: [xml-dev] Truncation parsing <

Craig H Fry wrote:
> I am having a problem with truncation when trying to parse an element that
> contains <
> I can recreate the problem with & and > also
>
> Here is a sample of what I am parsing
>
> <element>Shipping Address (&lt; 31)</element>
>
> When parsed, all I get is 31)

Although you know the element contains a single string of character data,
'Shipping Address (< 31)', a parser, acting on the lexical constructs it
encounters, is likely, though not required, to report this as 3 calls to
characters() in the case of SAX, or as 3 adjacent text nodes in the case of
DOM. This is normal behavior. In SAX you just have to live with it. In DOM you
may have the option of normalizing the text beforehand; check the DOM specs
and docs for your parser.

   - Mike
  mike j. brown                   |  xml/xslt: http://skew.org/xml/
  denver/boulder, colorado, usa   |  resume: http://skew.org/~mike/resume/