   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the

Greetings,

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, David Carlisle wrote:

> > It is implicitly _not_ an error to have no-namespace attributes
> > which _are_ the attributes defined in the spec.  I can't _find_ anything
> > which specifies any processing for these elements
>
> I don't understand this comment at all. the definition of the processing
> of (say) the xsl:template element is almost all taken up with telling
> you how to process the non-namespaced attributes match, name etc.

Indeed, indeed.  All the examples use attributes in no namespace.  If
you create a stylesheet with attributes in the XSLT namespace, it will
not work.  There are _no_ attributes in the XSLT namespace, it seems.

But you wouldn't guess that from the XSLT spec up to the end of
section 2.1, which does talk of XSLT-namespace attributes with, as it
were, malice aforethought.

This is all very dull.  I mention this as a curiosity -- it does
appear as if the first couple of sections of the spec are slightly
out-of-sync with the namespaced interpretation of the rest, in a way
which isn't terribly important, because everyone knows what the XSLT
spec actually intends.

The original point was to suggest a case where it would make a difference
if one were to change the namespace spec so that no-prefix attributes
inherited the namespace of their enclosing element.  If this change were
made, XSLT stylesheets would probably break.  That's all.

All the best,

Norman

Norman Gray                        http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/
Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK     norman@astro.gla.ac.uk