   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the question)

Tim Bray wrote:

> I think if I ever decided to edit this thing again, I would include
> something along the lines of Amy's language, that namespace names are
> strings which follow the syntactic rules for URI references, and that
> making them dereferencable may be a good and useful practice but MUST
> not be necessary for the base use case of disambiguation. -Tim

First of all, RFC 2396 doesn't define any real semantics for a URI
reference, in any formal sense of the term "semantics" yet it does define a
somewhat proper syntax, so I'm not sure that such a statement would really
be saying anything e.g. a URI reference *is* a string that follows the
syntactic rules for URI references.

Such wordgames are never help  anything. That might just create the
situation in which a URI that is a namespace name identifies a namespace,
but also identifies _another_ unrelated resource. And suppose you were to
use this 'string' (that really isn't a URI reference) _as_ a URI reference,
and try to resolve it. What would happen? What if it resolved to a document
that said <i>This isn't a namespace, ha ha!</p>

The point is that URIs _are_ names, and if you intend to use a URI (or URI
reference) as a name, you are in fact using the string that is a URI
reference as a URI reference. Let's just call a URI reference a URI
reference.

Jonathan